Pakistani youth involved in writing of "The Next Generation" report by the British Council were asked to create a manifesto for their generation listing the goals they beleived young Pakistnis should set themselves and their peers in the pursuit of positive change for Pakistan. A group of young people from my home town Lahore came with the following manifesto:
- Zero tolerance towards corruption.
- Thou shall judge your fellow human beings based on nothing but his/her merit.
- Teach Pakistan, server Pakistan. I pledge to spend at least 4 hours per month for 5 years teaching in community service.
- I shall read at least one book a year that is in direct conflict with my belief.
- I will not discriminate.
- I pledge to accept all my mistakes instead of justifying them.
- I will not be a second-class citizen in my own country and not compromise Pakistan and its sovereignty while doing so.
Hope is not lost, yet!